WHPS is a community run kindergarten that brings with it all the joys of truly representing our community and its values. All families automatically become members of our Incorporated Association upon payment of fees and are heavily relied upon for their input and support.
Drawing on the skills, ideas and contributions of the members in our community is what makes West Hawthorn Pre-school so great!
Our families have significant autonomy in making decisions about our kinder and what is important to us, our children and our staff. As a parent/carer of WHPS, there are lots of ways you can get involved. (Some even qualify you for a Maintenance Levy reimbursement).
- Stay and play: Join the groups as a parent helper for an hour or two. It’s a wonderful way to spend time with your child. It also provides a great opportunity to familiarise yourself with our routines, students and teachers.
- Class Representatives: Our Class Representatives provide an important line of communication between our teachers and parents. They play a vital role in supporting parents, particularly new ones, and help build an inclusive community for all families. They organise park catch-ups for both children and families; social events for mums / dads and couples. They also support fundraising initiatives.
- Working Bees/Maintenance: Participating in one of our working bees is not only a great opportunity to ‘refresh’ the kindergarten a great way to get to know other families across both groups.
- Committee Roles: The expertise of our parent group, alongside our Director, Kerryn Cameron, is vital to the successful running of our kindergarten. Joining the committee is an excellent way of getting involved with your child’s early education. Committee members are elected at the AGM in November.
- Fundraising: We always need people who are willing to assist with raising vital funds for our kindergarten. Whether it’s collecting items for a raffle, working as a team to organise a function or donating goods and services. All money raised goes towards services (such as incursions) and resources for the children.
- Children’s Resources: We are always very grateful to receive donations from parents. These can be as simple as boxes, cylinders, plastic containers, etc for our construction and loose parts trolley.